Habits of a Leader – To bring out best of the teammates

Richard S. Wellins, the author of an amazing book named “How Catalyst Leaders Bring out the Best in Others?” has said in his book, “As a leader your focus changes; your number one priority is to bring out the best in others.” According to research in United States America, 98 % employees are doing their job well under a leader trained by a leadership consultant. They are motivated by an expert leadership and concentrate more on work rather than any nuisance around.


Being able to draw out the most excellent in others is an expertise that involves just 10% natural fondness (god gifted to some individuals); the remaining 90% has to be deliberate, according to Mr. Wellins. He added in his book, “It can’t be learned by listening to a lecture or reading examples.”

He emphasised, “It needs to be practised, reinforced, and used day to day.”


Here I am going to list down some habits to be a leader and bring out best in others:


  1. Sharp focus on Individual’s strength:

A Good leader always aware of the fact about the strength of each individual in his team, he knows how to utilize them and most importantly where? “They cultivate and optimize others’ talents and capabilities,” Mr. Wellins says.


While some of the qualities are obvious which can be predicted from the education and the work they have done in the past. The others can be simply dragged out from them by asking these two questions, suggested by Mr. Wellins:

  • “What do you enjoy doing most as part of your work?”
  • “What do you miss most about the jobs you’ve had in the past and why?”


  1. Be a Good Listener:

Leaders are the one responsible for bringing out best in others. They can only do this by offering ears to them. When it comes to dealing with emotional problems, listening well and responding to them with sympathy can do the tricks. This can immediately reduce the tension and let the situation under control. “Empathy will drive better performance; this is a huge motivator,” says Mr. Wellins.


  • Praising the co-workers:

People who can bring out best in others should praise the achievements of the teammates. Most of the leaders think if they praise the team members, they would become overconfident but that is not the case.


“It isn’t the case and they won’t be overconfident,” says Mr. Wellins. “It’s about making them feel good about themselves when they feel challenged or going through tough times”, he added in his book.


  1. Create happy and safe environment:

The environment does create an impact on working conditions. The team members should free to put their thinking, ideas, act etc in front of everyone with confidence. These emphases are only possible if the environment is happy and safe to do so. They feel no hesitation in bringing their ideas to people. Their ideas are crucial to the organisation growth and you never know sometimes the advice from layman can do wonders.

Leave a Comment